Last night was raid number 3 for me as Holy. I still feel incredibly insecure about myself as a Holy Priest, and my frustration was compounded with dying to two bosses. The first time was when a taunt went awry with the Four Horsemen, and I didn’t pay attention to my stacks in the front, so accustomed I was to only paying attention to stacks when in the back. The second time was completely my fault — I was distracted by a guildie who was going on and on and on and on and on about how a UI error had caused him to die to Thaddius — ruining our immortal run — that I left the safety of the iceblock before Sapphiron had finished his breath. Stupid stupid stupid. I was angry at myself not only for two needless deaths but also for lying crumbled and useless on the ground when I could’ve been — you guessed it — kicking the other priest’s ass on the healing meters.
I know, I know, I know. Hypocrisy, thy name is Khaeli. What.ev.er.
What I Did Differently
- I tweaked my spec a bit, pulling points from Serendipity and Improved Renew and putting them into Holy Reach and Healing Prayers.
- I used two elixirs in lieu of the spellpower flask: Elixir of Spirit and Elixir of Lightning Speed, boosting my mana regen and my haste — two things I feel like I lack as a Holy Priest. I still ate spellpower food, but only because my druid was too damn lazy to fish for the cuttlefish required for the + SPI food.
- I memorized the icons for Surge of Light, Clearcasting, and Improved Holy Concentration — instant cast, mana free cast, hasted cast. Gotcha.
What I Wonder About
- The other Holy Priest with whom I raid casts Binding Heal a lot. A LOT. As in, it was his #3 spell. Since Binding Heal never really did much for me as a Disc Priest (didn’t proc Rapture or Grace), I rarely cast it. When I look at the “Who Heals Who” report on WWS, he cast 13% of his heals on the MT, 12% on one of the OTs, and 12% on himself. The spell results in 77% overheal. Flash Heal has the same cast time and the same spell coefficient, and so it does make sense to cast it if you’re taking damage. But if you’re not?
- So, Circle of Healing is a smart heal, yes? If you are on raid heals, how do you choose who to target? Do you target a melee DPS? Do you target a tank?
- What else am I missing, other than practice?